Monday, August 12, 2019

BRI- August Mood Board

I'm enjoying a few days off work and spending my ME time crafting up a storm. I don’t always stop in and write a blog post for my projects unless I’m on a calendar, but today is the exception. I really do love using color boards for my color inspiration and the August Mood Board from the Butterfly Reflections Ink Blog is too stunning for me to resist.

These bold Jewel colors are so fun and remind me of deep oceans and Caribbean beaches. But I’ve used them completely out of context today. I’ve made an evening jungle scene and really worked my craft stash for this card. 

I have a bright and funky old pad of paper from Heidi Swapp, and it has a totally gaudy cheetah print with aqua glitter which I never thought I’d be ready to use, but I was wrong. And I don’t admit that often haha. I’ve also been on a mission to regularly put into use my extensive collection of cover plate dies that I purchase with the best of intentions, but don’t always follow through. 

All of the stamps and dies I’ve used are from Hello Bluebird stamps and are available on the Butterfly Reflections Ink online store and I can’t say enough wonderful things about the owner or the store. Her shipping rates are beyond fair and your items arrive in 2-3 days. Not weeks like that other place ... and I love supporting small businesses. Especially super awesome small businesses that carry all of my favorite things. If I lived in NH I would be working in this little store for sure! 

I went outside of the box and used the Skating Pond cover plate, but I created a river scene with it. I cut it out twice from Bristol smooth cardstock and began inking my pieces with Distress Oxide inks. From the bottom portion of one of the pieces I used a Grassy Knoll die to cut about an inch and a half  grassy hill. I colored everything with colors from the mood board and even the greenery is shades of teal and aqua not green. I laid out my inkblended pieces and splattered with water, then white shimmery ink, then metallic gold ink. 

Using my stamp platform I stamped images from two sets, Jungle Little’s and More Jungle Little’s. Then I softly colored all of my stamped images with Copics (I think I counted 24 colors used) and cut out using the coordinating dies. 

Piecing all the little background pieces together was no joke. I think it took longer than actually coloring. I used regular clear scotch tape on the back to hold it all together. Then I mounted it on black cardstock, and then mounted that on my fancy glitter cheetah print. Using foam tape I popped the grassy knoll at the bottom and got ready to attach all of my images. I started with my vines and canopy creatures, then moved to building my foliage across the bottom. Of course I forgot to stamp my sentiment so I had to carefully do it with my stamp platform but it was easy to flip the cover to rubber stamp depth, and I had no issues. 

Tucking my sneaky gator into the leaves I finished by adding my hippo into the river and my meerkats onto the beach. I decided to sprinkle some sequins  onto the card and tucked little tiny stars all about. I used a little mounted strip of cheetah print on the inside with some extra leaves and wish I took the time to finish the inside of all of my cards.  But alas, I am too lazy. I hope you like this vibrant card and use the augustbcolor mood board this month. 

Thank you for dropping in,
Davina 

No comments:

Post a Comment