Hello. I know that Valentine’s Day has come and gone, but back in early February when I made this slimline tall card I had every intention of making a blog post about it. Obviously I didn’t, but I’m going to play catch up, and make an effort to post at least twice a month. Then maybe I will become more comfortable and the process will get easier for me.
I used all Lawn Fawn stamps and dies for this card. Before I started stamping, I drew a very rough sketch on a piece of scratch paper. That way I would have an idea of what I would be trying to create. I’ve found that this is the easiest way for me to stay on track when creating a complex scene. Otherwise I just get distracted.
Taking two sheets of Neenah solar bright white cardstock, I got to work. I trimmed 4 inches off the shorter end of one sheet, then scored and folded to create my card base of 3.5 x 8.5. I trimmed the remaining piece to be 3.25 x 8.25, this will be the card front. I also cut down my second sheet into manageable sized pieces to stamp on and create my other snowy layers. I always carry my layers all the way to the bottom so on any layered card of mine if you look carefully at the side you can count the layers like tree rings. On this card, I chose to cut my two layers of snow drift from one piece and carefully realigned them before adhearing. I am a paper hoarder and always do my stamping on any smaller leftover pieces. Waste not... want not. I am a responsible crafter 😂🤣
Using my stamp platform is a must. I don’t know how I lived without it. But I stamp each image at least two or three times in order to get a very dark crisp image, so I have to let the images dry completely before coloring to reduce the chance of smearing. After stamping, I worked on my ink blending with distress oxide inks. I used spun sugar and pickled raspberry for the sky, and tumbled glass (very sparingly) on the snow. Next I splattered with clean water, then with watery opaque white ink, and followed up with gold ink.
I used simple Copic coloring with two colors on each image (3 on the House) and highlighted with a white gel pen. With the coordinating dies I cut out all of my images, I also cut out the two fairy shapes from a sheet of fun foam. I like to cut it early in the project so it has time to fluff all up again after going through my sizzix machine. Then using Ranger matte medium, I glue my colored pieces onto the foam, then lay an acrylic block on top assure that they dry flat and in place. Put these aside til later.
Now the fun part... assemble! Lay everything out first to find the desired locations, then carefully glue using the adhesive of your choice. I use 3 or 4 different kinds on any one project. Lots of double sided tape, lawn Fawn glue tube and matte medium. I also like dimension and for my images to pop, so I use foam tape, glue dots and my secret ingredient, hot glue 😳 I can’t believe I just admitted that haha. But since nobody reads this then oh well. I use the hot glue on most of my die cut images because I like the lift it has off of the base and I can lay an acrylic block to smoosh it to my desired location and make it level. If you actually do read this, then please be careful and don’t go crazy without practicing. It’s messy and can leak out of the side and ruin your card. And it’s a one chance thing. Once it’s on, it’s there to stay. After I get all the images on, I trim off any over hanging pieces like the branches and berries.
Finally I attached my Fairies using the adhesive backed foam and added my heat embossed sentiment. I adhered my card front to the base with 1/4 double stick tape and finish off with the jewels.
I really love making these tall slimline cards, there is just so much more room to create on and the scenes can really come together well.
These are the supplies I used and the stamp sets that I combined to create this wintery pink scene. Thank you so much for stopping by,